Galan Lithium discovers first pegmatite lens at Greenbushes South

Galan Lithium ASX GLN pegmatite Greenbushes South Australia LIT
Recently processed survey data at Galan’s WA lithium project has identified 18 target zones for lithium-bearing pegmatites.

Explorer and developer Galan Lithium (ASX: GLN) has announced the discovery of the first pegmatite lens at its Greenbushes South lithium project in Western Australia.

The outcropping lens, measuring about 200m by 40m, resulted from follow-up mapping and sampling of the first of 18 targets identified from the recent processing of survey data.

Southern Geoscience Consultants’ processing of recent airborne radiometric, magnetic and downhole electromagnetic (DEM) data included the generation of key target zones for lithium-bearing pegmatites. Target generation incorporated structural and lithological information from the airborne data as well as field mapping and surface geochemistry undertaken by Galan.

The new data indicates a more precise location of the mineralising Donnybrook-Bridgetown Shear Zone (DBSZ) associated with the Greenbushes pegmatite. The final report identified 12 pegmatite anomalies within Galan’s Greenbushes South granted tenement (E70/4790), and an additional six pegmatite targets within the company’s pending tenements.

Outcropping pegmatite lens discovery

Field mapping over the GS11 target area revealed an outcrop of 200m by 40m pegmatite with similar macroscopic mineralogy to those pegmatites described at the Greenbushes lithium mine to the north. The assemblages are albite-quartz ± microcline ± muscovite ± garnet.

The pegmatite lens hosts several tourmaline-rich zones at a metre scale and is recognised by coarse-grained tourmaline and high abundances of interstitial albite quartz and muscovite.

Galan has collected four representative rock chip samples from the surficial pegmatite at GS11 and has partially completed a soil assay program at the site, which aims to delineate potential pegmatites at depth.

Completion of the soil grid over GS11 and further follow-up soil and rock chip sampling work on other targets along the major structure that hosts the mineralisation are planned for the third quarter.

Galan said the results will help guide the geophysical survey to test for blind pegmatites.

Conservation management plan reaches final revisions

Meanwhile, Galan has received its final revisions from the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA) for the Conservation Management Plan (CMP) for its planned exploration activities on pending Greenbushes South tenements.

The CMP outlines the proposed exploration and prospecting activities, management, and communications for work within the Hester State Forest/proposed nature reserve.

Exploration activities are planned to begin during the 2022 third quarter. Subject to the final revisions of the CMP, it is anticipated that the pending tenements will be submitted for ministerial approval to undertake these low-impact exploration activities.

Galan owns 80% of the Greenbushes South project with joint venture partner Lithium Australia (ASX: LIT) holding the remaining 20% stake.

    Join Small Caps News

    Get notified of the latest news, interviews and stock alerts.