Data review of Greenbushes South gives Galan Lithium hope it could uncover similar mineralisation to famed nearby mine

Galan Lithium ASX GLN Greenbushes South historical CSIRO data
Galan Lithium’s data review will assist with mapping and planning soil and rock chip sampling across Greenbushes South.

A review of historic CSIRO data relating to Galan Lithium’s (ASX: GLN) recently acquired Greenbushes South lithium project in Western Australia has enhanced its prospectivity in the company’s eyes.

Galan has now reviewed the CSIRO data which includes laterite geochemistry and other geological studies.

The CSIRO had defined geochemical anomalies across the Greenbushes region.

This data was gathered prior to the famed Greenbushes lithium mine nearby had started producing, when the deposit was still concealed.

Elements such as arsenic, tin, beryllium, antimony, niobium, tantalum and boron were noted to be centred over the Greenbushes deposit.

Tianqi Lithium Corporation owns 51% of the mine while Albemarle Corporation retains the remaining 49% via joint venture subsidiary Talison Lithium.

Greenbushes is the world’s largest producing hard rock lithium mine and has been operated since May 2014.

Recently, IGO Ltd (ASX: IGO) inked an agreement to acquire a 24.99% interest in the mine from Tianqi.

Greenbushes South lithium project

Galan’s project encompasses 353 square kilometres and is located on the southern strike projection of the geological structure that hosts Greenbushes.

The project tenure starts 3km south of the Greenbushes open pit.

Earlier exploration reports on Greenbushes South have recorded the presence of pegmatites which may host spodumene, which is what is mined at Greenbushes.

However, much of the earlier exploration at Greenbushes South focused on tin and tantalum.

Greenbushes South is deemed to have a low level of exploration maturity.

Prospectivity confirmed

According to Galan, its recent review of historic data has “confirmed the feasibility” of exploring for a concealed deposit similar to the Greenbushes mine.

Galan’s competent person Dr Luke Milan undertook the review on behalf of the company.

Commenting on the data, Dr Milan said that by plotting pathfinder elements such as arsenic, tin, antimony, and tantalum, the trend and extent of the anomaly surrounding the Greenbushes deposit can be seen.

“Additional soil sampling within the current holdings is planned to augment the current data set to delineate any potential along strike extension of the Greenbushes deposit to the south,” he said.

Other field work will include mapping and rock chip sampling with the objective of confirming historical data and defining extensions to geochemical anomalies.

Results will then underpin targets for follow up work including drilling.

    Join Small Caps News

    Get notified of the latest news, interviews and stock alerts.